"The Time is Now"


This week is midterms but I took a break from studying to talk about my current goal.  I’ve decided to challenge AHIMA’s CCS Certification Exam before the end of this year. I was
complacent with having my RHIT and CCS-P credentials.  However, I think now is the right time to add the CCS under my belt.  I am very comfortable with inpatient coding and know that I can pass the CCS exam. 


So why not take it?  Right? 

Well, I am always up for a challenge.  However, the CCS exam has been modified. There are a few changes and I must admit I am apprehensive about being a guinea pig; hence being amongst the first group to challenge this new exam format. 

There is no time like the present to take this exam and with ICD -10 lurking around the corner, more changes are likely to occur with the CCS certification exam.  Another benefit of taking the exam before the end of the year is once I’ve earn my CCS certification, I can devote more time to preparing for ICD -10, yay!!!!

The exam is expensive, costing $299 for AHIMA members and $399 for non-members.  Therefore, my goal is to pass it the first time.  I purchased the Professional Review Guide by Schnering and AHIMA’s CCS study guide. I like the CDs that accompany the books and find them very helpful.

According to AHIMA’s, there are now “Multiple Select” and “ Quantity Fill in the Blank” item types on the new CCS and CCS-P exams – this is in addition to the multiple choice questions.  The Multiple Choice question requires selecting the best answer out of 4 options. While the new Multiple Select requires more than one option – you have to choose as many options that are correct.  Also, the Quantity Fill in the Blank also requires that more than one answer is given. 

Sounds more challenging that the previous version of the exam but if you understand the coding guidelines there is a good chance of successfully passing it.  One other notable change with the format is the exam is one continuous exam WITHOUT breaks.  The older version of the exam was broken into two parts and you were only allowed your coding book during part two. Now you are allowed to use your code book during the entire exam. I think having the code book during the entire exam is a bonus.

If you are planning on completing the CCS, DO NOT put if off any longer. I recommend that you take the exam as soon as possible, and then focus on ICD -10. The time is definitely now.

For more information on the new CCS & CCS-P exam format visit AHIMA:

No comments:

Post a Comment